What’s for dinner tonight?
I decided to try something different for dinner , QUINOA. Pronounced keen-wah, which is a grain that originated from the ancient Incas. It remains a staple in South America, as it contains more protein than most other grains. It has a delicate flavor that makes it a great alternative to rice or couscous, and can be added to vegetables or incorporated in a main dish. It can also be used in soups, salads, breads, and as a breakfast cereal.
I could not find quinoa at Meijer, so I went to Trader Joe’s or you can find it at Whole Foods/Health Food stores.
BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa (cooked According To Package Instructions)
- ½ cups Corn
- ½ cups Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained
- 1 cup Shredded, Cooked Chicken
- 1 whole Avocado, Peeled, Pitted And Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 4 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 2 whole Scallions, Diced (omitted)
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Cilantro, Optional, For Garnish
In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, corn, black beans, chicken and avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Top with shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, scallions and cilantro.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
(Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen)
Low Fat Oatmeal Banana Bread
(Makes 1 loaf )
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp canola or walnut oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 medium egg whites, beaten
- 3 large bananas, ripe
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients including the oats and cinnamon.
In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Add oil, whole egg, chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Batter will be fairly thick.
In a medium sized bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until medium stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three additions.
Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Slice loaf into 10 equally sized slices.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.